Creative Dates During Quarantine
Updated: Jul 3, 2020
13 Creative Dates During Quarantine
Looking for ways to stay connected and date your spouse when you can’t go out?
If you are like Robin and I, after 34 years of marriage, you find it hard enough to plan and go on dates when the cities, restaurants, and dating places are open. And now with everything closed is this just another excuse to not date your spouse? We know the struggle. We also know the value. So we thought we would share some creative quarantine date ideas to make it easier to date your spouse during this time.
1. Cooking class for 2
Grab your computer, aprons, and your favorite drink and head to the kitchen for an online cooking class for 2.
Laugh, have fun, learn something, and then enjoy what you have made and done together.
Want to bless someone out of work right now? Commission someone you know to host the class. Our friend and chef Camille Hendrix is a great option. Comment in the comments below if you would like us to connect you with her. Or, there are plenty of online cooking courses to select from.
2. Work together on a puzzle A puzzle takes time and it is time to talk. Put a puzzle together and enjoy the time to converse. Here is a puzzle date challenge… Schedule time to work on the puzzle together. With each piece, you put together, change the conversation topic. But no talking about work, worries or children. This challenge will build patience and also rekindle your relationship no matter how long you’ve been together. Share favorite memories, details of your childhood, or exciting plans you have that you may not have had time to share with your spouse. Some conversation starters:
What’s your favorite memory of us dating?
What’s a new hobby you’d like to try?
What’s something that would surprise me about you?
What’s your favorite childhood memory?
What’s one goal you’d like to achieve by the end of the year?
What do you remember the most from our wedding day?
3. Candlelight dinner for 2 If you normally love to dress up and go out for a night on the town, you can still do the same thing at home. Dress up and take pictures together. Have a nice candlelit dinner together and share in the prep or alternate planning and executing the date. If your children are older, pay them to serve and clean up. Be creative and have fun. Follow up dinner with a relaxing activity together like stargazing, looking through memory albums, or just sitting out back with your drink of choice.
4. Game night
Are your board games collecting dust on a shelf? It’s time to bust them out. Grab a game and turn on your favorite music for a game night date night. Nix the cell phone usage and be present in the moment with each other and a good game. This is a time to just be together, talk, laugh, compete, and enjoy each other's company.
5. Backyard picnic
When was the last time you had a picnic? Picnics don’t have to be at the park. Pack a basket and invite your spouse to an oasis in your back yard, patio, deck, or even living room floor. Surprise your spouse with a couple of hours of just relaxing together on a blanket in the back. Bring the cheese, crackers, wine, and your book and music and simply relax together.
6. Take him/her to a concert Since most concerts have been canceled over the next several months, consider watching one from the comfort of your own home. Artists are adapting to the new changes and live streaming their shows and special events. Some will even host Q & A's with fans. Have fun with it and be creative. Wear your favorite artist's clothing, hats, and bling. Get out the concessions and make a night of it.
7. Virtual travel Vacation plans seem like they are suspended indefinitely at this point. Plan a virtual getaway and explore a favorite travel destination that you have wanted to visit. Take a virtual tour of the Vatican, Machu Picchu, or the Louvre.
Escape quarantine for a bit on your big screen. Share with each other your dream trips/landmarks and explore what each other likes and why.
8. Exercise together Dating is about enjoying each other's company and doing something fun together. That being the case, some may find it odd to include exercising together in this category. However, exercising is something Robin and I love to do together. It may be as simple as a run/walk together or put on your favorite flashback to Richard Simmons and get your workout groove on. Whatever you do, enjoy doing it together. A simple “Walk and Talk” gets some movement, fresh air, and communication into your relationship.
9. Dancing @ Club Quarantine
Like to dance? Who said you had to go out to have a good time. Create your own “Club Quarantine.” Turn the patio into a dance floor, turn up your favorite tunes, and get your groove on. The beauty of this date is it removes the fear of dancing in front of others. If one of you is shy, it doesn’t matter how good your dancing is. Turn on some slow music and just hold each other, sway and whisper sweet nothings into her ear. You can hang lights, set up the minibar, and be as elaborate as you like. Obviously the more thought and effort that goes into planning the date the more points you score.
10. Movie and snacks in bed Dates don’t have to be elaborate to be meaningful. If you are feeling especially lazy, just climb into bed with your favorite beverage, some pizza, and a good movie. The key is to cuddle up and be together. Think back to when you were dating and went to a movie. You didn’t sit with a seat between, in fact, if you had your way you would have shared one seat.
Do something different and creative to make this a date unlike other nights when you just watch tv together.
11. Spa night When was the last time you actually relaxed? Consider making your home a spa-like oasis for the evening. Light candles, put on the spa music, and create a serene atmosphere to unwind in.
If you have kids, wait until they’re in bed and totally settled in. Then you’ll be able to fully enjoy your peace and quiet — just like a real spa. Consider taking selfies together in your face masks for a fun photo memory of your date night.
To have the ultimate spa experience:
Get in comfy robes
Do face masks (yes, together!)
Soak your feet
Offer foot or shoulder massages
12. Take her to the virtual opera The opera, the ultimate date, and the “sacrifice” of many a manly man. The true test of a manly husband is to proudly accompany his bride to the opera. Well guys, quarantine doesn’t get you out of the opera.
Plan a special night for her. Dress up, clean up the TV room, and set up the big screen. Make it special as you “go to the opera.”
13. Painting and wine class Are you looking for a fun night? Maybe you’d like to learn something new or just have a mini escape from everything happening around you? We have the perfect solution! Twist at Home painting kits are now available! Relax and sip some wine while you paint from the comfort of your own home!
(pictured) painting pic from Painting with a Twist website
These are just 13 creative quarantine date ideas. We would love for you to try some and let us know how they go. Or maybe you have some creative ideas to add. We would love to hear more.